What is Foreign Language Translation
Process: There is a three-step process:
- TEP, or translating
We give special attention to the content and messaging. In terms of formatting, we use desktop publishing tools to ensure that the spacing, format, font, and graphics associated with a particular document retain their integrity. When formatting, our linguists focus on details, such as alphabet (non-Latin characters), left-to-right or right-to-left direction, and content and cultural factors.
The talent pool: Our linguists understand the translation process and undergo extensive skills testing. Our screening process begins directly following the application process. Partners Interpreting requires an application form, resume, cover letter, and three references for linguists to qualify for screening. Our translation department also posts linguist positions on job boards and career websites to find more specialized linguists. Once linguists apply, we will review the documents to determine whether they are eligible to begin the hiring process.
The credentials: Translators are ATA certified. All translation linguists possess a university degree or higher and at least five years of translation experience. Specific certifications include New York Circle of Translators, NACES, Proz.com Certification, SDLX Certification, SDL Trados Certification, ATA, ISO 90001, and Chartered Institute of Linguists Membership.
We only use native speakers for translations and transcriptions specializing in a specific field. Specialized assignments in particular subject areas require further support documentation. Linguists must demonstrate educational background and job training and submit credentials or other documentation to demonstrate their capabilities. Some specialty areas include medical, legal, or fields requiring technical subject matters.
- Fluency in two or more languages
- Translation training, certification, licensing (or a combination thereof) with proof of credentials
- Knowledge and comfort with culturally sensitive idioms and phraseology
- Ability to maintain confidentiality requirements
- Sufficient self-awareness as to not impose their interpretation when translating documents
- Willingness to treat all parties with respect regardless of gender, race, nationality, marital status, political beliefs, religion, and social class
- Professionalism and understanding of professional boundaries
- Understanding the role of a translator
Translation services are generally available for submission on weekdays, from Monday through Friday, 8 am to 5 pm Eastern time. However, clients can access our portal to upload and retrieve documents and review job status and progress, available 24/7.
Standard turnaround times depend on the length of the document, formatting complexity, and the number and scarcity of languages requested. Our general turnaround time is 3-5 business days. However, we can process and handle the same-day and next-day requests.