What is Captioning (CART)?
Real time or live event Captioning (CART), also known as Communication Access Real-time Translation — is a way to transcribe the spoken word into readable English text on a screen. CART serves as an essential communication tool.
Our professional writers listen to the speaker(s) and produce speech-to-text transcription where an individual or audience can instantly read what the speaker is saying. CART/live caption services provide a complete translation of all spoken words and environmental sounds. Remote CART is the same as on-site CART captioning, except the provider is in a remote location. The provider listens to an event through a telephone, Skype, Voice Over IP (VoIP) connection, or joins a video conference meeting to provide real-time captioning services. To access Remote CART, you will only need a browser-based device such as a laptop, tablet, or smartphone.
With CART technology, the text will appear on a browser-enabled device (such as a laptop or smartphone). Text can also be projected for larger audiences almost as soon as the speaker speaks. Once the class (or event) ends, Partners Interpreting will provide you with an electronic transcript (in MS Word format). Please click the link below to see a sample:
- For Deaf and Hard of Hearing — for individuals who use American Sign Language (ASL) and for individuals who do not use ASL but who have a hearing loss
- For individuals learning English as a second language
- For general audience access
- For professionals with a hearing loss who are conducting meetings or placing and receiving phone calls
- For students with an auditory processing delay
Partners Interpreting coordinates providers in every industry in the following settings, including but not limited to:
- Education: classrooms, graduations, and commencements
- Government: Local, state, and federal meetings/events
- Public events, live webcasts
- Conventions and conferences
- Corporate: Conference calls, staff meetings, training, and workshops
- Healthcare: appointments