Do I need to provide and pay for interpreter or other services for a deaf or hard of hearing client/patient?

Yes. To prevent discrimination and to ensure effective communication, places of public accommodation are generally required by federal law i.e. Americans with Disabilities Act ADA, Rehabilitation Act, and Civil Rights Act; to provide auxiliary aids to Deaf and hard of hearing people such as the provision of a qualified American Sign Language Interpreters or captioning services.

Places include retail stores, hotels, theaters, restaurants, doctors’ and lawyers offices, optometrists, dentists, banks, insurance agencies, museums, parks, libraries, day care centers, recreational programs, social services agencies, all types of state and local government agencies, and private schools. Also, both profit and non-profit organizations. All must give persons with disabilities an equal opportunity to participate in and to benefit from their services.