- This event has passed.
Moving Forward in a Time of Uncertainty presented by CRID
June 3, 2017 @ 11:30 am$10 - $15
Presented By: Stephanie Jo Kent, PhD, CI
Description: Professional sign language interpreters and the Deaf community in Connecticut have suffered the loss of statewide coordination. How to move forward is a tough question. This workshop will provide an opportunity to clarify a vision for the future, which could guide future planning. We’ll explore the values that matter most and assess the degree of risk that feels doable. For instance, do people most want to re-create the feeling of being a great big family, or do people want to address the structural problems that make everything so messy? Can both be done? Information about when and how nonviolent civil action can be successful will be presented and choices offered that fit the desires of the group. Despite the difficulties, communities that come together in times like these can accomplish great things!
Participants will be able to:
- name at least three significant personal values
- demonstrate an ability to talk about their own risk tolerance in the context of the current political climate (especially statewide but also national)
- define, imagine and take steps to create nonviolent civil resistance
- distinguish between privilege, power and empowerment
- express comprehension of the relationship between actions taken collectively and the construction of community